These are our current favorite (and tried and tested) books and book series for young boys, aged around 6 to 10, depending on the level of reader you have. You will find everything in this list for the massively enthusiastic NEVER WANTS TO DO ANYTHING ELSE reader to the budding reader who is looking for his reading passion.
1. — Contains all 4 of Minecraft’s best-selling handbooks in a pretty awesome gift set. More of a manual than a chapter read, so perfect for those who don’t LOVE reading quite yet.
2. Anything by Roald Dahl — , , , , and SO many more. These books are SO engaging and entertaining for young readers.
3. — There are a million in the series and all very engaging, good short and entertaining reads for beginning readers! Fantastic “first” chapter series. The library always has several to choose from, if you want to see if they’re a good fit before buying.
4. — These are a pretty good first series for kids because there are a TON of cartoons sprinkled throughout. Kids love the story and the characters, although parents be warned, there are some pretty silly things that happen and you will probably hear ALL about them. Book 13 is brand new!
5. — These are the silliest books. But they can be read over and over and over and still be outrageously hilarious. Pretty easy read and TONS of cartoons and jokes to keep even the most reluctant reader engaged.
6. — We can not stress enough how entertaining these are for kids. They have a few words in it that we don’t love (stupid, hate), but overall are just the most hilarious and engaging stories for kids. And a little nostalgic for parents.
7. — THESE ARE THE BEST. Your son will laugh until he cries and will insist on reading you all the strips that are his favorite. Which is all of them. Buy him this classic set and then pick up new books at the library when you can find them. Even a fun read for younger kids as the pictures tell the stories.
8. — This may be a controversial choice for some, but this is an AMAZING series for kids. Some parents plan to hold off on books 5-7 until they are a little bit older, as they get quite a bit darker towards the end. The first few books are SO engaging and such a wonderful testament to light against dark, good against evil. Watch the movie as a family after he finishes each book! These are also a great choice to read together.
9. — If you have a reluctant reader or one who engages more with pictures, you can now get the first book in a . The second book, and are now available illustrated as well!
10. — Such a classic and fun read, for kids and adults! If you have a young reader with a short attention span, this is a great choice.
11. — These are an updated version of the old classics, which have language that can trip up young readers. Easy reads, super engaging and a fun nostalgic choice for parents.
12. — Another classic series! Reviewers praised these for being easy to read and a common thread is that they can pull even the most reluctant reader into their stories.
13. — Simple, easy reads for baseball and/or mystery fans. Several books in the series set in many different ballparks around the country, making for a fun, engaging and mildly historical read. Read about Wrigley Field, Fenway, Yankee Stadium and more.
14. – Such a fun book! Tons of photos, facts and activities about animals, science, the environment and so much more. Super engaging and a great read that doesn’t feel like a read.
15. – Fantastic books for kids aged 8-10. Modern story based around Greek mythology and SO engaging. Also the author of the and the series.
SUGGESTIONS FROM READERS:
1. – These are perfect for fans of Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Captain Underpants. Fun comic-style books with lots of pictures, great for those just trying to find their love of reading or reluctant readers. Or even those on the younger end of the age range who don’t quite have the attention span for a full chapter book series. Also check out !
2. – Written by the author of The Hunger Games series and recommended for kids and parents alike!
3. – Gets AMAZING reviews! Recommended for grades 3-6.
4. – Another highly reviewed series! Recommended for grades 1-3.
5. – Recommended for grades 2-4.
Looking for more gift idea for the elementary-aged set?
Find more Gift Guides here.
Fantastic range of boards from best recipes and tips for frugal living to gardening and budgeting help.
This post may contain affiliate links. See the disclosure policy for more information.